The Department of Psychiatry at Stellenbosch University, in conjunction with the SAMRC Extramural
Unit on the Genomics of Brain Disorders, is seeking a motivated, enthusiastic individual to join our
Neuropsychiatric Genetics Research Group
The position is a full-day contract post for one year, with the possibility of renewal for a second
• Managing the daily activities of the Neuropsychiatric Genetics Laboratory, including:
• procurement of consumables, reagents, equipment and services;
• processing invoices;
• managing the laboratory’s inventory;
• routine logging and tracking of samples;
• maintaining sample databases;
• writing and updating SOPs;
• providing technical support to enable the smooth functioning of the laboratory and
departmental research studies.
• Overseeing and managing the laboratory’s quality assurance;
• Managing the laboratory’s equipment maintenance;
• Routine processing and storage of blood, saliva, and stool samples;
• Routine DNA and RNA extraction from blood, saliva and stool samples;
• Performing laboratory experiments using standard techniques and equipment;
• Maintaining the research group website and social media pages;
• Processing, organising and summarising data using a variety of scientific, word processing
and statistical software applications;
• Performing all duties within the context of the Mission, Vision and Values Statement of
• A postgraduate degree (MSc or higher) in Microbiology, Biochemistry, Genetics or Molecular
Biology, or related discipline;
• Strong background in molecular biological techniques, primarily related to DNA isolation, but
including RNA isolation, PCR, genotyping and real-time PCR;
• Computer literacy (MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel);
• Experience in working with REDCap;
• Excellent planning and organisational skills;
• Good written and verbal communication skills;
• The ability to work independently as well as within a project team environment;
• The ability to solve problems independently and effectively;
• The ability to communicate in English;
• Good interpersonal skills.
• Experience in laboratory management;
• Experience with REDCap and LIMS software;
• Experience with Hamilton Robotics systems.
Enquiries regarding this post: Prof. Hemmings on 021 938 9784, or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Enquiries regarding remuneration/benefits, as well as technical assistance with the electronic application process: Human Resources Client Services Centre on 021 808 2753, or at email@example.com
Commencement of duties: 01 April 2023
Closing date: 01 March 2023
Stellenbosch University is committed to employment equity (EE), and appointments will be made in
line with the EE plan for the specific environment as well as the institutional EE Plan of the University.
Stellenbosch University reserves the right not to make an appointment.
Your application, comprising a comprehensive curriculum vitae (including the names and email
addresses of at least three referees), must reach the University before or on the closing date of the
APPLY ONLINE AT https://www.sun.ac.za/english/careers BY USING THE APPLY NOW LINK AT
THE TOP RIGHT-HAND CORNER OF THE SPECIFIC VACANCY PAGE.
The University reserves the right to investigate qualifications and conduct background checks on all
The Occupational Health and Safety Act requires people in occupations that entail potential exposure
to certain hazards (such as, but not limited to: noise, hazardous chemical substances and hazardous
biological agents) to be subjected to medical screening, to determine their fitness to work in the said
Should no feedback be received from the University within four to six weeks of the closing
date, kindly accept that your application did not succeed.