Our vision is to foster interest in Neuroscience and facilitate communication between those interested in Neuroscience, within Southern Africa and Africa.
It is the Mission of the Southern African Neuroscience Society to foster interest in Neuroscience and facilitate communication between those interested in Neuroscience, within South Africa and Africa.
SANS EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
- Chairperson – Dr Tanya Calvey (University of the Witwatersrand)
- Co-chairperson – Dr Lihle Qulu (Stellenbosch University)
- Secretary – Dr Rachael Dangarembizi (University of Cape Town).
- Treasurer – Miss Kim Williams (University of Cape Town)
Executive Committee members:
- Dr Jacqueline Womerseley (Stellenbosch University)
- Prof Brian Harvey (North-West University)
- Dr DeWet Wolmarans (North-West University)
- Dr Dorit Hockman (University of Cape Town)
- Dr Antonio Lentoor (Sefako Mogkatho University)
- Dr Sahba Besharati (University of the Witwatersrand)
- Dr Simo Zulu (University of Cape Town)
The Southern African Neuroscience Group was founded by:
- Frans Taljaard (Chemical Pathologist, University of Stellenbosch)
- Viv Russell (Neurochemist, University of Stellenbosch)
- Quinton Oswald (Bristol-Myers Squibb, sponsor)
- James Temlett (Neurologist, University of the Witwatersrand)
- Wessel Wessels (Psychiatrist, University of Natal)
- Ben Potgieter (Chair of SA Pharmacology society)
- Abraham Aucamp (Secretary of SA Pharmacology Society)
- Ben Allmann (Bristol-Myers Squibb)
This group of neuroscientists contributed significantly to the growth of neuroscience in our country to such an extent that it became a society with a membership in excess of 100. Later SANS became affiliated to SONA (The Society for Neuroscientists of Africa), and a member of IBRO (The International Brain Research Organisation).
- Prof JJF Taljaard (1988 – 1994)
- Prof R Emsley (1995 – 1996)
- Prof VA Russell (1997 – 1998)
- Prof S Daya (1999 – 2000)
- Prof WM Daniels (2001- 2010)
- Prof LA Kellaway (2010 – 2014)
- Assoc. Prof FM Howells (2014 – 2020)
- Dr Tanya Calvey (2020 – current)