We are seeking a Postdoctoral Fellow in the Department of Psychiatry, Stellenbosch University.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work in with a dynamic, multidisciplinary group of researchers based in the SAMRC Extramural Unit on the Genomics of Brain Disorders. The aim is to identify genomic biomarkers, using a systems biology approach, for a suite of brain disorders across the lifespan, based on clinically-derived data and through leveraging complementary expertise and skills. The postdoctoral fellow will be expected to lead analyses in the context of the unit, working closely with core members and students to refine analytical approaches.
Proficiency in common scripting languages (e.g., Python, Java, R) will be expected. Experience in computational and statistical analysis of high-dimensional and multivariate data is essential. An understanding of the range and limitations of existing bioinformatics tools for genomic analyses would be preferable.
Candidates will also be expected to:
• solve problems collaboratively and independently
• be able to prioritise and shift focus to other projects when required
• have excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• work well within a team
• have a track record of collaboration with scientific researchers
• contribute to the writing and submission of journal manuscripts
• perform supervisory/co-supervisory duties
• assist with writing/co-writing funding applications
• PhD in computational biology, bioinformatics, molecular biology, clinical psychology, or
neuroscience related field, obtained within the past 5 years
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Track record of publishing in peer-reviewed journals
• Track record of successfully working with different types of data, across a range of projects
• Experience leading projects
• Experience with bioinformatics and complex statistical analyses
Value of the fellowship: R300,000 and R400,000 per annum, commensurate with experience. The fellowship is tax-free, provided certain conditions are met.
Duration: Minimum period of one year, with the possibility of renewal for a second year, dependent on satisfactory progress and funding.
How to apply: Email a covering letter with CV, indicating your research outputs and the names and current contact details of three referees to: Prof. Sian Hemmings: email@example.com. Please make the subject of the email Postdoctoral fellowship 2023.
Deadline 31 January 2023
Please direct any queries to Prof Hemmings via email: firstname.lastname@example.org