Senior Scientist/Lecturer: Department of Psychiatry
(One year full-time contract position, with the possibility of renewal)
- Coordinating and managing the interface between departmental research teams working on potentially overlapping areas;
- Providing and promoting more effective ‘pathways-to-impact’ research within psychiatric genomics-associated studies;
- Promoting research capacity-building and awareness of research activities amongst clinical and basic science students;
- Supporting the psychiatric genomics research team in building external networks of collaboration with major stakeholders externally and across the University;
- Monitoring the progress of research activities; developing and maintaining records of research activities, and assisting with preparation of periodic and ad hoc reports, as required by investigators, administrators, funding agencies, and/or regulatory bodies;
- Identifying, collecting and interpreting evidence and data to contribute to the development of presentations, reports and publications;
- Assisting with statistical and bioinformatics analyses of ongoing and new projects;
- Assisting with project planning and grant-writing activities;
- Mentoring and co-supervising postgraduate students.
- PhD in Human Genetics or Molecular Biology, or a related field with at least five years’ post-PhD work experience in a psychiatric genomics research environment;
- Demonstrated ability to obtain external research funding;
- Evidence of publication record within the psychiatric genomics field;
- Excellent communication, planning/organisational and leadership skills;
- Proven ability to work well in a collaborative environment;
- Strong training in statistics or biostatistics and genomic analysis.
- Strong training in statistics or biostatistics, data mining, and genomic analysis, as well as experience with database management and computer programming;
- Computer programming skills in R, Linux, etc. and experience with data management;
- Project management capabilities;
- Evidence of team leadership.
How To Apply:
Closing date: 15 June 2018
Apply online at: http://www.sun.ac.za/english/careers
The University will consider all applications in terms of its Employment Equity Plan, which acknowledges the need to diversify the demographic composition of the staff corps, especially with regard to the appointment of suitable candidates from the designated groups.
The University reserves the right not to make an appointment.
Your application, comprising a comprehensive curriculum vitae (including the names and e-mail address of at least three referees), must reach the University before or on the closing date of the advertised post.
The University reserves the right to investigate qualifications and conduct background checks on all candidates.
Should no feedback be received from the University within six weeks of the closing date, kindly accept that your application did not succeed.
Enquiries regarding job content: Prof S Hemmings on 021 938 9695 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Enquiries regarding remuneration/benefits as well as technical assistancewith the electronic application process: Human Resources Division, Tygerberg Campus on 021 938 9636